This debate was part of the May 28, 2018 HowTheLightGetsIn festival held in Hay on Wye, Hereford, UK and hosted by The Institute of Art and Ideas.
From Stalin's gulags to weak growth in planned economies and the fall of the Berlin Wall, socialism has a chequered history. Is it a mistake to imagine that equality can be engineered by socialist planning? Should we be sceptical of those wrapped in fine ideals or is there a form of socialism that can deliver on the dream?
Leo Panitch | Yaron Brook | Kemi Badenoch | Mary Ann Sieghart
• Socialism would have been misrepresented by the Murdochs of this world even if it hadn’t been dystopian.
• The failure of socialist parties in Europe is largely their failure to go beyond capitalism gradually.
• Socialism cannot deliver equality, nothing can; equality is a myth and a dangerous aim.
• Socialism violates individual rights and it is anti-life.
• There is one exception - in a small, culturally homogenous groups. But socialism cannot function in large societies. Too much has to be imposed.
• Big attack on freedoms, stifles innovation, lends itself to courruption and inefficiency.
Like what you hear? Become a sponsor member, get exclusive content and support the creation of more videos like this at https://www.yaronbrookshow.com/support/, Subscribestar https://www.subscribestar.com/yaronbrookshow or direct through PayPal: paypal.me/YaronBrookShow.
Want more? Tune in to the Yaron Brook Show on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/ybrook). Continue the discussions anywhere on-line after show time using #YaronBrookShow. Connect with Yaron via Tweet @YaronBrook or follow him on Facebook @ybrook and YouTube (/YaronBrook).
Want to learn more about Objectivism? Check out ARI at https://ari.aynrand.org.
Yaron Brook, Radical for Capitalism, discusses news, culture and politics from the principled perspective of Ayn Rand's philosophy, Objectivism. Yaron is the executive chairman of the Ayn Rand Institute and a world class speaker.